WHAT DOES THE WESTERN UNION COMPANY DO WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Financial companies choose how they share your personal information, whether you send money, receive money, or we otherwise collect information about you. Consumers have the right to limit some but not all sharing. This notice is designed to tell you how we collect, share, and protect your personal information. Please read this notice carefully to understand what we do.
The types of personal information we collect and share depend on the product or service you have with us. This information can include, without limitation:
- government identification numbers, such as: driver’s license, passport, visa or Social Security number
- name, address, mobile and home telephone number
- account balances and transaction history
- credit history and payment history
- computer information such as the domain and host you use to access the Internet; your computer’s Internet address; the browser and operating system software you use; social profile and network information; the date and time you access our website and the Internet address used to link to our website when you visit us
You consent to our collection, transfer and storage of Information by computers or other transfer or storage devices in the United States and elsewhere when you supply Information.
This Privacy Statement was last modified on 3/25/2011.
All financial companies need to share customersí and consumersí personal information to run their everyday business. In the section below, we list the reasons financial companies can share their customersí and consumersí personal information; the reasons Western Union Financial Services, Inc. chooses to share; and whether you can limit this sharing.
Reasons we can share your personal information
Does Western Union Financial Services, Inc. share?
Can you limit this sharing?
For our everyday business purposes
such as to process your transactions; maintain your account(s); respond to court orders and legal investigations; report to credit bureaus; gather information about website access, usage and performance; enhance your consumer experience; validate your creditworthiness or your identity; or as otherwise permitted or required by law
For our marketing purposes
such as to offer our products and services to you or notify you about future events and promotions.
For joint marketing with other financial companies
For our affiliates everyday business purposes
such as information about your transactions and experiences
For our affiliates1 everyday business purposes
such as information about your creditworthiness
For our affiliates to market to you
For nonaffiliates to market to you
To limit our sharing
OPT OUT RIGHT
If you prefer that we limit sharing with affiliates or nonaffiliated third parties as described above, you may opt out of those disclosures as follows:
- Call (USA) 1-800-562-2598
- Visit us online: westernunion.com, log into your account and edit your Personal Information settings (where applicable)
- Mail to:
Western Union Financial Services, Inc.
Western Union Privacy Office
12500 East Belford Avenue
Englewood, CO 80112
Note: Disclosures not subject to an opt-out choice include: disclosures necessary to effect, administer or enforce a transaction you request; disclosures to our authorized service providers (including Western Union Agents); disclosures permitted or required by law or disclosures to prevent fraud or other illegal activities.
Please note: If you are a new consumer or customer, we can begin sharing your information 30 days from the date we sent this notice. When you are no longer our consumer or customer, we continue to share your information as described in this notice. However, you can contact us at any time to limit our sharing.
Call 1-800-562-2598 or click on the ìContact Usî link at westernunion.com
Who we are
Who is providing this notice?
Western Union Financial Services, Inc.
What we do
How does Western Union Financial Services, Inc. protect my personal information?
To help protect your personal information from unauthorized access and use, we endeavor to use reasonable security measures. These measures can include physical, electronic and procedural safeguards such as computer safeguards and secured files and buildings. We also endeavor to limit personal information access to only employees, agents and representatives that need to know. Despite our efforts, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access your transmissions to us or may wrongly instruct you to disclose information to them by posing as Western Union or by misinforming you about our services.
How does Western Union Financial Services, Inc. collect my personal information?
We collect your personal information, for example, when you:
- send or receive money, complete a payment or use or request other products or services from us
- submit information to us on applications or other forms and by other means
- use our or other online sites (for example, to complete a transaction, manage your accounts, or provide your choices)
- enter a promotion
We also collect information about you from a variety of sources, including without limitation, computer systems; third party sources such as our business clients, government agencies, and other suppliers of information; and consumer reporting agencies.
What happens when I limit sharing for an account I hold jointly with someone else?
Your choices will apply to everyone on your account.
Companies related by common ownership or control. They can be financial and nonfinancial companies.
Companies not related by common ownership or control. They can be financial and nonfinancial companies.
- For example, we may disclose Information about current and former consumers and customers to third parties, including without limitation: financial service providers such as Western Union Agents that offer our services; banks, credit card companies, brokerage houses, mortgage lenders and mortgage originators; non-financial companies such as retailers, direct marketers, auto dealers, utility companies, membership clubs and other providers of goods and services; government agencies; and otherwise as permitted or required by law.
We may also disclose Information to companies that perform marketing services for us or other financial institutions with whom we have joint marketing arrangements.
A formal agreement between nonaffiliated financial companies that together market financial products or services to you.
Other important information
Our website is not directed at children under the age of 13. Western Union does not knowingly collect or maintain Information at our website from persons under the age of 13.
Our website may be linked to or from third party websites. Western Union is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of websites that are linked to or from our website.
Western Union reserves the right to modify this Privacy Statement. You can get updated Privacy Statements by calling us at (USA) 1-800-562-2598
or by visiting our Web site at www.westernunion.com